How do I claim from my Alexander Forbes Provident Fund?


My husband was recently retrenched,and was paying for his provident fund through Alexander Forbes, my question is: 1)Will his employer fill out the necessary documentation and notify Alexander Forbes that he was retrenched in order for the payout to be done or does my husband have to contact Alexander Forbes. 2) Regarding UIF will the employer apply for the UIF benefits on behalf of my husband or do they just provide the necessary documents needed for him to apply for UIF on his own. Thanks


Bina, Please refer to our blog on how to claim your pension fund benefit. In summary, he must get the withdrawal notification form, fill it in, attach the necessary supporting documents, return it to the employer, who will counter-sign and send it to Forbes for processing. To apply for UIF he needs to go to the Department of Labour himself, with the necessary supporting documentation from his employer (eg proof that he was retrenched). Their UIF website will tell you what is required.

The information and answers supplied in this section do not constitute advice as defined by the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, 37 of 2002.

Get investment and saving tips straight to your inbox.

Related FAQ

What is a Tax-Free Savings Account?

Tax-Free Savings Accounts (TFSAs), which were introduced in South Africa in 2015, provide tax benefi...

Related FAQ

How to invest with 10X Investments

Figuring out how to save for your future can be overwhelming. At 10X, we don’t complicate what can a...


How much do I need?

We can help you plan your future. Use our calculator to see if you are on track for a comfortable retirement.

RA Calculator

Get started or switch to 10X today.