Can my employer contribute to a retirement annuity on my behalf?

Yes. The employer can either contribute to the RA on the member’s behalf, or deduct such contributions from the employee’s pay. If the employer makes the contribution on behalf of the employee then this will attract fringe benefits tax that must be recovered from the employee.  In both cases, the employee can claim these RA contributions for tax, up to a maximum of 27,5% of gross remuneration or taxable income (whichever is the higher) subject to an annual deduction cap of R350,000.

The information and answers supplied in this section do not constitute advice as defined by the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, 37 of 2002.

Get investment and saving tips straight to your inbox.

Related FAQ

Can I claim RA contributions against capital gains?

You can claim RA contributions against that portion of capital gains which is included in your taxab...

Related FAQ

What is tax rebate on a retirement annuity?

Unlike your medical aid contributions, your RA contributions qualify for a tax deduction or a tax re...


How much do I need?

We can help you plan your future. Use our calculator to see if you are on track for a comfortable retirement.

RA Calculator

Get started or switch to 10X today.