How to claim a death benefit


Hi, Can you please help me. My father was a mineworker and separated from my mother, but did not divorce. He died in 2003 and my mom didn't claim the money from his provident fund and I don't have family to support me. How can I claim the money without a death certificate or any other documents? I only have his work ID card. I'm his only son who's turning 19 in November. I want to know where I can go to get help now. My mom passed away without claiming. The major problem is that I am from Lesotho and here, in SA, I tried so many offices. They told me to go where he worked. So please help me to get my father's money so that I can go back to school.



First, you need to find out where your late father's money is. You therefore need to contact his former employer's Human Resources department, and ask them who is looking after this (unclaimed) money. Most likely, it will be with an Unclaimed Benefits Fund. You then need to contact this Fund, and ask them what you need to do, prove your claim. They will require all kinds of supporting documents, including a death certificate. You will need to get a copy of this certificate from the Department of Home Affairs in SA, or the corresponding department in Lesotho. You will then have to send all these documents through, and comply with the other requirements.

The information and answers supplied in this section do not constitute advice as defined by the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, 37 of 2002.

Get investment and saving tips straight to your inbox.

Related FAQ

Can I change my portfolio after signing up?

Yes you can definitely change your portfolio after signing up. To do so, you simply need to log into...

Related FAQ

What do I need to invest in a 10X TFSA?

To sign up for a TFSA with 10X, you'll need the following documents: a valid South African ID or pas...


How much do I need?

We can help you plan your future. Use our calculator to see if you are on track for a comfortable retirement.

RA Calculator

Get started or switch to 10X today.